Halloween Bricks Quilt Along Part 2
- Square up the rectangles (I’m not really sure what the correct term is but you want to make sure you trim the rectangles so that the fabric is straight). Don’t trim too much and See video for a better understanding.
- Trim the salvage off the sashing Jelly Roll Strips (we’ll later we’ll be sewing two strips together for each row of sashing).
- Start with Row 1 and sew the rectangles together. Place the 2nd rectangle to the 1st, right sides together and sew 1/4 seam. When you get to the end, pick up the rectangle that did not get the white rectangle and sew it to the bottom. Remember the Top, Bottom, Left and Right sides of the quilt get sashing.
- Repeat for rows 2 – 6.
- Take all 20 Jelly Rolls strips and sew two of them together … you’ll end up with 10 strips that measure 88 x 2-1/2.
- Start with Row 1 and set your seam and then press it to the dark side. Repeat on rows 2 – 7.
- Press the Jelly Roll strip seams open.
- Take Row 1 and a Jelly Roll Strip, line up the seams, pin and then sew with a 1/4″ seam. together.
- Repeat on Rows 2 – 7.
- Shown in next video Row 1 will get an additional Jelly Roll strip sewn on the left side of the row.
I LOVE how this Halloween Bricks Quilt looks … but ….. sometimes I forget to use other colors for the sashing. When this quilt was complete Brooke ask me “why I used white sashing and not black?” and I replied “I simply forgot and yes, black sashing may have been a better choice”. Maybe next time!! I still like it ….. although I think black fabric may have made it more striking!!
To make the Halloween Bricks Quilt you will need:
- 7 Fat Quarters
- 1 Jelly Roll – that coordinates with your fabric
- Backing Fabric – 4-3/4 yards (more if you make a larger quilt)
- Binding Fabric – 1/2 yard
- Matching Thread
- I will have my quilt finished by my longarm quilter and she provides the batting.
- Basic Sewing supplies (scissors, sewing machine, etc)
The Fabric I’m using is: LOST & FOUND HALLOWEEN FAT QUARTER BUNDLE
MY MIND’S EYE FOR RILEY BLAKE DESIGNS
- Quilt Measures: 48-1/2 x 73-1/2
- Quilt is: 7 Rectangles Across and 6 Rectangles Down
- Fabric needed: 7 Fat Quarters & White Jelly Roll + backing and binding fabric
- Halloween Rectangles measure: 5 x 10
- 35 White Strips measure 2-1/2 x 5
- White Sashing – 20 Strips (44 x 2-1/2)
p.s. Join our Chic n Scratch Quilt Along Facebook Group to ask questions during our Quilt Along.